Personalized or private number plates are a form of investment. If you purchase a truly unique and demandable number plate, the price will increase with time.
Example: F1 is a personalized registration owned by Afzal Khan. He bought the number plate for £440,000 in 2008. He later listed its price at £12,250,270.83.
The recent value of the F1 private number plate has multiplied around 28 times.
Types of vehicles that can attach a personalized number plate:
- Normal passenger vehicles
- Light trucks
- Motor homes
You cannot use a personalized registration plate on a vehicle that is supposed to attach a special type of number plate. For example Off-road vehicles, utility trailers, etc.
Cost of personalized number plate:
A one-time application fee which is $100 needs to be given. After approval, the $40 annual fee has to deposit for maintaining the plates’ usage and rights to the specific slogan. The fee makes sure that you can maintain the exclusive rights related to the private number plate even if it is about a leased vehicle.
About lost, stolen, or damaged personalized number plates:
You have to pay a fee of $18 for temporary number plates in case you lose your existing number plate, or if it gets damaged or stolen. The fee is required to remake the same number plate.
If the number plate having a validation decal cannot be found or stolen, you have to tell the police. The missing plate’s record has to remove from the database of police.
You do not require a police case number if a private number plate without any validation decal is stolen or lost.
How to get a private or personalized registration number plate?
First, you have to design your unique slogan or personal message.
Receive the completed application form to your respected broker. You need to take an application fee cheque.
You will be given notice that your slogan has met the exact criteria and you can get it.
About approval of the number plate and pick up:
After approval, your private number plates will reach your broker. You will get a notification through email about the pick-up time. Usually, it will take around a couple of months for the plates to arrive.
About rejected slogans:
In case, your slogan gets rejected, you will get a notice by means of a letter. You will get back your application fee.
Criteria of application:
- You have to be the registered owner of the specific vehicle showing the private number plate.
- Your name should be on the vehicle registration, especially if you lease that vehicle.
- If more than one registered owner owns a vehicle, then each of them has to sign the application.
- You should possess a license plate, insurance, and a driver’s license which is valid.
- A combination of numbers, letters, spaces, and dashes is acceptable.
Things that are not allowed:
- Two dashes or spaces one after another.
- No private number plate can be just numerals.
- Number plates should not boast any symbols that are? #, @, &, etc.
- All private number plates must be clean and decent.
About replacing license plate with decal:
- If the license plate with a specific insurance decal gets stolen, you must report to the police and inform the broker.
- You should carry the police case number and your insurance documents to your broker.
- You have to pay a certain amount for new plates as well as an insurance decal.
Replacing a license plate without decal:
- You just have to visit your broker in case of a missing number plate without the insurance decal.
- You have to pay a certain amount of fee for receiving a replacement number plate.
About replacement of stolen or lost insurance decal:
If you lose your insurance decal by any chance, you have to inform the police. Take the police case number along with the insurance documents to your broker. You have to pay a fee for a new decal.
For buying a private number plate, you don’t need to be a millionaire. Nowadays, personalized plates can be availed at a much affordable price. You must contact a dealer and check for availability.
Kent Charlie is associated with a vehicle registration agency that also deals with the personal number plate design. He has also been writing for many online publications on a freelance basis. Kent loves traveling and adventure riding, which he often does alone. Collecting heritage car number plates is one of his favorites and he takes pride in that. He takes inspiration from Plates4Less which sells number plates for vehicles.