What Should be Done With a Private Number After the Owner’s Death?

Private number plates are specially ordered and come with a price. These number plates are used by people more like a style statement as having a rare or exclusive...
Private number plates

Private number plates are specially ordered and come with a price. These number plates are used by people more like a style statement as having a rare or exclusive number on your vehicle would naturally mark you out of the crowd. There are various procedures through which you can obtain these numbers. If you don’t have time or not aware of the details then the best thing that you can do is contact one of the companies or individuals who help people to get the private number plate.

It’s advisable to get in touch with them since they have a huge database of fresh untouched number plates and also in a position to inform you about the latest feature or if any changes have taken place in the rules and regulations. Unlike the US where personal number plates are creative and innovative, in the United Kingdom, the registration is based on the conventional sort of alphanumeric format.

What should you do if the owner of a personalized number plate dies?

There are two possibilities in this case. One, the owner has empowered you the authority to use the plate in his or her will. Two, nothing has been mentioned in the will. In such a situation as per the rules and regulations laid down by the Driver and Licensing Agency (DVLA), you are not entitled to use the number plate. However, you may retain the same number plate if you get the number plate transferred in your name in someone’s name officially.

Transferring the number plate:

If you do not have the will or authority to use the number plate, then the only way through which you can retain the plate is transferring the cherished number plate. You are required to apply to DVLA by filling Form V317 along with related details like the name of the person to whom the number needs to be transferred. You are required to pay £80 for the processing fee. If you are having the old blue-colored form, then fill Section 2. Fill Section 2 even if you have the new multi-colored numbered blocks on the front cover. You will have to fill Section 6 if you are having the old-style logbook.

In case the number is not assigned to any vehicle:

In such a situation you will have to send a document as per the DVLA rules and regulation stating that you have got the authority to retain and use the customized registration number plate.

You will also have to attach either of the two:

Form V778: (Retention document that allows you to keep the number plate)

Form V750: (Certificate of entitlement)

Ensure both the forms (whichever is applicable) is duly signed by the executor before you send your application to DVLA. Don’t forget to attach a cover letter with your application with all the relevant details. You must mention clearly if you are interested in keeping the personalized number plate or giving away to someone.

If you want to give up the right to use the number plate:

There is a possibility that you would like to give up the right or authority to use the private number plate. In such a situation you would get the £80 deposited as the processing fees only if:

  • You have the new V778 or V750 document. If you lose it but the document is still valid, then you can get a replacement from the DVLA.
  • The personalized number plate was not assigned to any vehicle after the fee was paid.
  • There should be a confirmation or notification in V778 or V750 document that you have paid the fees.

However, you are entitled to a refund only if the document was issued before March 9, 2015. The refund is given only after the document expires. You cannot get a replacement for an expired document.

  • To claim the refund you will have to tick the ‘Refund of the assignment fee’ in the document V778 or V750. Ensure you get the same signed by the executor.
  • Also, the document gives you the authority to use the personalized number plate.

This is applicable for both Great Britain and Northern Ireland as both are managed by the DVLA.

No Comment

Leave a Reply